Passage Four Questions 26 to 30 are based on the following passage.
Exercise is one of the few factors with a positive role in long-term maintenance of body weight.Unfortunately, that message has not gotten through to the average American, who would rather try switching to "light" beer and low-calorie bread than increase physical exertion. The Centers for Disease Control, for example, found that fewer than one-fourth of overweight adults who were trying to shed pounds said they were combining exercise with their diet.
In rejecting exercise, some people may be discouraged too much by caloric-expenditure charts;for example, one would have to briskly walk three miles just to work off the 275 calories in one delicious Danish pastry (小甜饼). Even exercise professionals concede half a point here. "Exercise by itself is a very tough way to lose weight," says York Onnen, program director of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.
Still, exercise's supporting role in weight reduction is vital. A study at the Boston University Medical Center of overweight police officers and other public employees confirmed that those who dieted without exercise regained almost all their old weight, while those who worked exercise into their daily routine maintained their new weight.
If you have been sedentary (极少活动的) and decide to start walking one mile a day, the added exercise could burn an extra 100 calories daily. In a year's time, assuming no increase in food intake, you could lose ten pounds. By increasing the distance of your walks gradually and making other dietary adjustments, you may lose even more weight.
26. What is said about the average American in the passage?
A) They tend to exaggerate the healthful effect of "light" beer.
B) They usually ignore the effect of exercise on losing weight.
C) They prefer "light" beer and low-calorie bread to other drinks and food.
D) They know the factors that play a positive role in keeping down body weight.
27. Some people dislike exercise because
A) they think it is physically exhausting
B) they find it hard to exercise while on a diet
C) they don't think it possible to walk 3 miles every day
D) they find consulting caloric-expenditure charts troublesome
28. "Even exercise professionals concede half a point here" (Line 3, Para. 2) means "They
A) agree that the calories in a small piece of pastry can be difficult to work off by exercise
B) partially believe diet plays a supporting role in weight reduction
C) are not fully convinced that dieting can help maintain one's new weight
D) are not sufficiently informed of the positive role of exercise in losing weight
29. What was confirmed by the Boston University Medical Center's study?
A) Controlling one's calorie intake is more important than doing exercise.
B) Even occasional exercise can help reduce weight.
C) Weight reduction is impossible without exercise.
D) One could lose ten pounds in a year's time if there's no increase in food intake.
30. What is the author's purpose in writing this article?
A) To justify the study of the Boston University Medical Center.
B) To stress the importance of maintaining proper weight.
C) To support the statement made by York Onnen.
D) To show the most effective way to lose weight.
Part III Vocabulary (20 minutes)
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
31. The machine looked like a large, ，old-fashioned typewriter.
32. Though she began her by singing in a local pop group,she is now a famous Hollywood movie star.
33. Within two weeks of arrival, all foreigners had to with the local police
34. Considering your salary, you should be able to at least twenty dollars a week.
A) put forward
B) put up
C) put out
D) put aside
35. As he has our pratience,we’ll not wait for him any longer.
36. These teachers try to be objective when they the integrated ability of their students
37. Mrs. Morris's daughter is pretty and ,and many girls envy her.
38. Tomorrow the mayor is to a group of Canadian businessmen on a tour of the city.
39. I'm enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
40. Can you give me even the clue as to where her son might be?
41. Norman Davis will be remembered by many with not only as a great scholar but also as a most delightful and faithful friend.
42. Salaries for positions seem to be higher than for permanent ones.
43. Most people agree that the present role of women has already affected U.S. society.
it has affected the traditional role of men.
A) Above all
B) In all
C) At most
D) At last
44. Science and technology have in important ways to the improvement of agricultural production.
45. As an actor he could communicate a whole of emotions.
46. This is what you should bear in mind: Don't a salary increase before you actually get it.
A) hang on
B) draw on
C) wait on
D) count on
47. The ship's generator broke down, and the pumps had to be operated instead of mechanically.
48. The little girl was so frightened that she just wouldn't her grip on my arm.
49. He never arrives on time and my is that he feels the meetings are useless.
50. Mrs. gmithwas so about everything that no servants could please her.
51. Last night he saw two dark enter the building,and then there was the explosion.
52. It is obvious that this new rule is applicable to everyone without
53. His temper and personalky show that he can become a soldier of the top
54. During the lecture, the speaker occasionally his point by relating his own experiences.
55. Only those who can to lose their money should make high-risk investments.
56, He found the media attention intolerable and decided to go abroad.
57. There has been a collision a number of cars on the main road to town.
58. elephants are difthrent from wild elephants in many aspects, including their tempers.
59. Ten days ago the young man info~ed his boss of his intention to
60. As one of the world's highest paid models, she had her face. for five million dollars
Part IV Cloze (15 minutes)
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper You should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Wise buying is a positive way in which you can make your money go further. The 61 go about purchasing an article or a service can actually 62 you money or can add 63 the cost.
Take the 64 example of a hairdryer. If you are buying a hairdryer, you might 65 you are making the 66 buy if you choose one 67 look you like and which is also the cheapest 68 price. But when you get it home you may find that it 69 twice as long as a more expensive 70 to dry your hair. The cost of the electricity plus the cost of your time could well 71 your hairdryer the most expensive one of all.
So what principles should you 72 when you go out shopping?
If you_ 73 your home, your car or any valuable 74 in excellent condition, you'll be saving money in the long 75 Before you buy a new 76 , talk to someone who owns one.If you can,use it or borrow it to check it suits your particular 77 .
Before you buy an expensive 78 ,or a service,do check the price and 79 is on offer. If possible, choose 80 three items or three estimates.
61. A) form
62. A) save
63. A) up
64. A) easy
65. A) convince
66. A) proper
67. A) its
68. A) for
69. A) spends
70. A) mode
71. A) cause
72. A) adopt
74. A) products
75. A) run
76. A) appliance
77. A) function
78. A) component
79. A) what
80. A) of
Part V Writing (30 minutes)
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a campaign speech in support of your election to the post of chairman of the student union. You should write at least 120 words following the outline given below in Chinese.
A Campaign Speech